Sunday, August 5, 2007

Solex locks

I didn't work on the car last week because my wife was in the Tin Man Triathlon and I went along to cheer. It was her best ever, so that was good.

The Friday night before was her training group's carbo loading party. It took place in one of Honolulu's better neighborhoods, yet while we were inside digging through fourteen types of pasta (even though I wasn't in the race I did my part) someone screwdrivered the passenger side lock on our 87 Camry station wagon. The driver side door had gotten the same treatment a month ago, but we had put up with getting in on the passenger side. Now we could not lock the car. Well, we could, but then we would have to enter through the tail gate.

Locks are a specialized business. I know I could remove and install one, but to straighten out this mess I decided it was time to call in an expert. Not knowing any I looked through the yellow pages for a shop near my office and a sensible looking ad that included the word "repair." I chose Access Lock and Key. The service was great, hard to find these days. I asked for a quote on Toyota locks so we could use the ignition key, and a quote on Solex locks. I expected the Solex locks to cost more, and so did the locksmith, but it ended up that the Solex were a bit cheaper. Better yet, Ron Pang came to my office and installed them. I was expecting an overnight stay at his place. Sure they cost a bit, but with such first class service I feel like I got a bargin.

Today's work on the E9 was uneventful. I expected to see some surface rust on the bare patches I had painted with Rust-Prep, because the instructions state the surface should be painted within 24 hours. No rust, after two weeks! Maybe because the car is inside and well protected? Just to be sure I ended today's work with a light coat of Scotch Acid Etch primer. I applied it over a coat of Rust-Prep, with a 30 minute drying period in between, per the instructions. The guy at Redline Automotive thought this would work. I will start off my next session by testing the primer for adhesion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.