While waiting for the filler to set I removed the two grills from the hood. This was easier than expected because the screws go into plastic. For the car to look good these will need to be replaced. I wonder how other E9 owners deal with this.
When the filler was set I did a lot of sanding, trying to blend the new stuff with the surrounding surface. I actually started using 100# paper. I added the radius at the top edge of the roundel mount using a spongy sanding block. I removed the jig and smoothed the filler even though it will be hidden, mostly to ensure good water drainage. When everything was good I shot it all with POR-15 Etching Primer. I used this instead of the 3M product because of the fiberglass patches applied with POR-15. As it turned out, two of those patches had pin holes. I tried smoothing the paint with a fingertip the fill the holes, but of course the surface ended up a mess.
posted from Bloggeroid