Saturday, June 11, 2011

Roundel mount shaping tool

For a long time I planned to shape the circular, recessed roundel mount with a self made tool. During that time the design changed several times. Today I made the tool, so it was time for all the alternative universes to collapse.

I knew I needed a tight grained wood ... plain old pine from a 2x4 just wouldn't. I ended up buying a piece of Popular from Home Depot. A bit expensive, more than what I usually spend on lunch, but a nice piece of wood and mostly left over for future projects.

BMW110611-01

I decided to use the wood on edge. After cutting out the piece of wood I needed I had to drill a hole for a 0.25 in. pin, which will keep the tool centered. My new Craftsmen drill was perfect for this (okay, a good drill press would have been better but I don't have one) because it has a spirit level in the handdle. Thank the bathroom renovation project for the new drill. I clamped the wood in the vise, clean length-wise edge up, leveled it, then drilled successively bigger holes which keeping the bubbled centered in its circle. I stopped one size short of 0.25 but the fit was so tight I was afraid I would split the wood, but after drilling out with a 0.25 bit the pin was not as tight as I wanted. Oh well.

BMW110611-02 BMW110611-03

The block rotates around like the hand of a clock. I had to cut away most of the underside to clear the steel plate and bolts that go through the holes used to mount the roundel. The last step was to shape the working end to for the curve that will creat the radius at the edge of the recess. File and check, file and check. You can remove wodd, but you can't add more.

BMW110611-04

When at last it was done I used it so sand off the filler that already extended too far into the mount. More than half would need more. I sanded off the primer and was applying a new batch of POR Epoxy Putty when I was struck by an inspiration. I could use the tool to mold the fresh putty. Worked like a charm. There will still be some sanding, but I will be starting much closer to the end point.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: