Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers Day Ride

I usually think of a ride as a group activity. The annual Toys for Tots motorcycle ride, or the HBL Honolulu Century Ride for bicycles. If I waited for such a ride to take out my Lotus I doubt it would ever move.

Today is a beautiful day, and I decided as soon as I got up to take the Lotus out for a spin. I had to clean it up a little, mostly the wheels and windshield, then we were off on a south shore loop. "We" being me and the car.

Lotus110619-01 Lotus110619-02 Lotus110619-03

I pulled over in Hawaii Kai to take some pictures. As soon as I got out of the car I was set upon by a delightful family; mom, dad, son and grandfather. Obviously out to celebrate Fathers Day. I said hi, and the questions began.

"What kind of car is that?"

"A Lotus? What year?"

"Is that the first model?"

"Why does it have two gas fillers?"

"What kind of engine does it have?"

"That must be the only one in Hawaii."

"What is it made of?"

I love it when that happens. Total strangers see my car and feel compelled to react. They wave. They honk. Or, like today, they overcome their deeply ingrained conditioning to mind their own business.

I sure hope that family will remember this Fathers Day as the time they saw that little yellow car.

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aloha Gary- Thanks for posting the blog! We should have talked- I took the Puma out for a similar run on the windward side and got similar interest- it would have fun to have our own FD ride! We might have found others to join in-

Mahalo nui loa!

Patrick