Sunday, November 2, 2008

More Work on Back

I just watched the Colts beat the Patriots. This was the first game in weeks worth watching. Not that I get to watch very many. The Colts especially looked like a Super Bowl team, far more so than the Titans in spite of the difference in their records.

Last week it was too wet to paint the window sill, but today was perfect. That was the last thing I did, so I wouldn't get muck in the wet paint.

The focus of the day was how to repair rusted areas on the rear end where it joins the trunk floor. The original design has a narrow "Z" fold running horizontally accross the entire rear panel, just below the tail lights. The area of the fold is rusted through in several places. I decided not to attempt to recreate the fold, given my lack of skill and the tools available.

Plan A is to recreate the effect by welding up pieces of sheet metal, overlapping at the edge, then smoothing the joint with Epoxy Filler.

I was about to implement plan A in the area below the left tail light when I started thinking like a dentist -- save as much as possible. I ended up reattaching the two sections still remaining after wire brushing away the rust. Next I'll have to add a backing plate, the bottom edge at the joint I worked on today. If that doesn't work it's back to plan A. Because I'll be doing more work in this area next week I skipped painting and instead treated the area with POR-15 cleaner and metal prep.

BMW110208-01

BMW110208-02 BMW110208-03

BMW110208-04 BMW110208-05

BMW110208-06 BMW110208-07

No comments: