Monday, July 23, 2007

Everyone has an opinion

My E9 coupe always got a lot of attention when I drove it. Old men would smile and scratch their bald heads. Young women would smile and toss their long hair. All this attention was welcome, but some more than others. Even now, rust heap that it has become, the car gets a lot of attention in the shop. Every time I work on it people stop to ask what it is and why I am bothering. I'm sure some people think I'm crazy. Art Wegweiser on the BMW CS Registry list wrote, "to deal with what you have described and illustrated takes admirable cojones - or what ever the word is in Hawaiian. Big coconuts?" I explained about olo-olos.

One guy insisted my rusty patches were caused by Chinese steel. He insisted that while German steel was of the highest quality, BMW stamped their parts from blended steel. The rust breakouts were the Chinese parts. I'm thinking maybe he lost a dog to some bad food.

Most of the guys who stop to talk these days have an opinion on the best way to proceed, and they always tell me what they think. Basically it comes down to two choices, cut out and patch, or splice in large "clips." If I could get my hands on a car good enough for all the clips I'll need I'd probably end up driving it. Sure there are E9 clips available. Scarce, and if eBay item 280133219809 is any example they aren't much better than what I have. As for new, replacement pieces, the cost is high for what I am trying to do. A nose from CSI goes for $924, and that does not include shipping to Honolulu.

If my objective were to have a nice E9 I am certain I would approach this in a different way. I would be much more likely to crush my car and invest what the scrap dealer gives me in a car like eBay item 260141237306, a nicely tricked out 73 E9 which after twenty-three bids and with four days to go has a high bid over $18k and the reserve has not been met. Now that's a car to make people smile! But my course of action is to start with a rusty car I have already driven and enjoyed, one with little if any residual value, and through the process of restoring it learn the proper way to repair rusty steel. I really do want to cut and bend and hammer out a new nose for my car. Much too costly for a shop to do, but it's my hobby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Opinions are like ...nevermind.

Take it form someone who is learning the hard way, it will not be easy or quick.

Take advice from the people who know and have done it before.
Become intimate with http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7. They have an excellent Projects and Restoration forum, and a few frequent contributors that offer sage and accurate counsel. (Thanks Malc)

I'm in the middle of a similar type restoration, although I must admit that your car has rust in a few "non standard" areas that I have nver really seen before.

I noticed some rust on the fender tops/ hood channel area- very typical, but also a very difficult area to repair.

What I haven't seen yet are shots of the rocker panels, another area (like the fender top area) that consists of multiple layers that are adept at trapping moisture and concealing structural rot within.

That being said, MIG welding is incredibly forgiving, modern chemicals have advanced in regards to rust treatment, and the Internet is an incredible resource for parts, advice and help with the technical aspects of things (welding, body work, etc.)

I say go for it. Get a nice MIG welder, a 4'" grinder, some welding clamps, a gallon of POR 15, and maybe even a spot welder, and give it a go. Good luck and keep this blog going.
If I only had the time, I'd be doing the same thing