Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Back Story

I bought my BMW E9 coupe around 1994, to replace a 114 (2002) I had been driving for a few years. That car had been an impulse buy, a cheap, run-down, just-for-fun "beach car." My wife had the nice soccer mom car, a two door Jeep Cherokee, so all I wanted was something cheap and fun, but with room for kids and groceries and stuff.

The 2002 was slowly rusting away, and one day the gearbox packed up, and that was that. Off to the junkyard. Thing is, I missed it so much I wanted another, only this time I planned on spending more and getting a respectable car. One day I spotted something odd for sale in the newspaper. A BMW, right year, strange model ... what the heck is a 3.0 CS?

The car was beautiful. Just painted, running smooth and strong. Not cheap, but not bad, about what I was planning on spending but for a whole lot more car. I threw a fist full of cash at the seller and drove away as happy as can be. Even though it was a 73 it looked and ran like a new car.

I have no regrets about that decision. I drove the car as is for at least four years. All I did was wash it, change the oil, and soak up the compliments. Well worth the money. It's the kind of car that causes otherwise calm, everyday people to shout "What is that?" out the window of their Camry while speeding down the freeway.

Then, problems. Mostly electrical. First the fuel pump would mysteriously stop, then start up again. Then the electric windows would sometimes refuse to work, as if haunted.

Tired of driving around Honolulu in the summertime with the windows rolled up, I used this excuse to start riding my bicycle to work. Every now and then I would go start it up and tinker under the dash, but mostly the car just sat out and started to rust. Oh, and I still ride my bike to work.

Eventually I found a place where I could work on the car. Another E9 fan, Mike Pelly, was nice enough to look over this mess and pointed out some useful details. First, and very important, the rust is confined to non-structural areas. The rocker panels have already been repaired, professionally, and look solid. Second, this is a Euro spec car, probably imported directly to Honolulu. Apparently this gives it more panache.

For many months since then the E9 has been on hold while I worked on my Lotus Europa. The problem there was a parts back order that took five months to fill. Happily the Europa is back on the road and the E9 is getting my full attention.

Here are some photos I took last December. Soon I'll post some pics of the exploritory phase, in which I discover that the PO was the King of Bondo.

(click to enlarge)

BMW1106frontright Nose badge and RH front.


BMW1106frontleft LH front. Cracks due to thick coat of bondo, steel underneath is solid.


BMW1106lefttrunk Rust through on trunk.


BMW1106rightApillar RH A pillar.


BMW1106backright RH tail light.

No comments: