Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rear Fog Light Patch

Today's work was to weld on the patch backing plate behind the rear fog light, the rectangular opening just inboard of the left tail light. Last week I thought it was ready to go, but a closer look this morning revealed that the opening needed to be enlarged. When that was finally done I used my new set of Craftsman carbide drill bits to drill the two holes that mount the light (the left mysteriously larger than the right) then punched some welding holes around the edge. After a thorough cleaning with acetone I scuffed up the surface with #40 sandpaper and shot it with 3M Weld-Thru Primer. I also ground and wire brushed the paint off of the area inside the trunk where the patch was going, and hit that with Weld-Thru Primer, too. When all was dry I held the patch in place with a couple of bolts and nuts, spread out my burn-proof blanket, and welded it on. I took two pictures, one just before welding, the other after the bolts were removed.

Next week begins with grinding the welds and applying another coat of primer. After that comes fitting and welding the patch for the corner of the tail light.

BMW101908-01 BMW101908-02

No comments: