Sunday, July 20, 2008

Preping More Patches

Just a short note to say I spent the day working on the remaining three patches for the rear window sill. Lots of cutting and filing. I was hoping to get all three done and painted with weld-thru primer but time ran out.

BMW072008-01.JPG

My experiment with welding POR-15 has caused me to change plans. For these three patches I will use 3M 051131-05917 Weld-Thru II primer. The label on the aerosol can reads "A Weldable, Corrosion Resistant Coating." The good news is that drying time is rated at 5-10 minutes, so I can paint and weld next week, all on the same day. The bad news comes in two parts. First, the can recommends applying 3-4 coats of the same paintover, followed by a layer of Rust-Fighter I. Or, as a second option, remove all traces of Weld-Thru II prior to applying plastic filler. Neither choice is an option in this case, because the back side of the patch ends up in an enclosed box section.

During the week I picked up a fire-proof blanket from GASPRO, because last week while welding in the trunk area I set two rags on fire. I hope I don't get a chance to see how well it works.

No comments: