Monday, June 2, 2008

New Approach to Rear Window Patch

Yesterday ended up a milestone in my approach to repairing the E9's rust damage even though it did not start out that way. I decided to abandon my plan to make a one-piece patch for the area under the rear window. What prompted the change was the seemingly insurmountable problem of getting the piece to curve in both a fore-aft direction and laterally. The new plan is to cut most of the way through the patch, leaving the bottom edge intact, to allow the piece to flex, turning a straight line into a smile.

Before I reached that plan I cut the patch into two pieces to try to achieve the same thing. It was really hard to make that first cut.

Last week was All British Car Day and next Sunday is an outdoor birthday party for one of my wife's friends, so progress has definitly slowed a bit. I did manage to get the Lotus safety checked yesterday, but it needs new rubber pieces for the side marker lights. Dave Bean doesn't have them, so getting that straightened out may take some time.

No comments: