Sunday, July 18, 2010

Shaping the nose

Today's shop session was short because my wife and I attended a concert by Jeff Peterson and Riley Lee. It was a great performance.

BMW100718-01 BMW100718-02 BMW100718-03

I started by smoothing out the epoxy filler sections, first with my grinder and later by my orbital sander and hand sanding block. The goal was to lope off the high spots but not too much, as these areas were filling low spots. The area around the RH side of the roundel recess needed Epoxy Filler to blend in the fiberglass patch, so I decided to proceed only on the LH side.

BMW100718-04 BMW100718-05

I sanded away the protective layer of paint I had covered the area with, back to bare metal. Then came an initial application of TECHNIFILL. When that had set I sanded it a bit, then added a second batch, which is how I left it. I was able to shape the filler around the roundel recess using a ball-shaped grinding stone.

No comments: