Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lotus rear hub bearings, pt. 8

Last weekend my wife and I went on the annual Frank Smith Ride to Hana. I suppose I could call it Frank and Laura Smith ride, because Frank's wife almost always goes. You can see the photos I took on my Flicker site.

The trip begins on Friday with flying to Maui. From Kahalui airport we ride fifty miles to Hana. Saturday is rest and have fun day, and on Sunday we ride back and fly home. Those fifty miles include some of the most beautiful scenery to be found on any rode, anywhere.

Today it was back to the old routine. I worked on the Lotus. The last session ended with getting the trailing arm installed enough to get the hub on. Today I finished the job: I hooked up the brake hose to the pipe on the trailing arm, connected the other end of the pipe to the wheel cylinder, attached the drive shaft to the trans-axle, installed the bolt that connects the lower link, hub carrier and shock/spring unit, bent down the lock washer on the hub retaining bolt, installed the brake drum, and bled the brakes.

Next week will begin with a test drive, but after that I need to piddle around with some lighting issues and get the safety check renewed. Then I can take it home.

No comments: