Monday, June 8, 2009

Lotus rear hub bearings, pt. 1

Yesterday was another all Lotus day. While changing the oil last week I investigated the squeak coming from the right rear wheel, and sure enough it was the dreaded worn wheel bearings. I ordered new seals and bearings for both sides from Dave Bean and they arrived mid-week (what great service!) so I got right to it. Polishing out the flaws in the clear coat will have to wait.

I have had the rear suspension off many times, but I have never done the hubs. It is a job that is notoriously difficult because the hub is installed onto the splined drive shaft with Loctite, and the book recommends heating the hub carriers to remove the bearings ... which means they are a really tight fit.

My first battle was trying to remove the brake drum. This is always hard. I really should design some sort of puller. As I pounded and tugged I could see that the hub was moving on the splines, which was weird, so I opted to take drum off with the hub. Worked like a charm. Once off I just tapped the hub off the drum.

Lotus090607-01 Lotus090607-02

The stopper was in trying to remove the drive shaft from the bearings. It has to come off before the four bolts on the inboard side can be removed, at which point the hub carrier can be slid off the trailing arm. I hit it as hard as I dared, but most of the force was lost due to the hub carrier flopping around.

Lotus090607-03 Lotus090607-04 Lotus090607-05

I knew my friend Patric has done this before, so I called to ask his advice and he recommends removing the trailing arm from the car and using a press. I hope to continue when the shop opens on Wednesday.

As for rust, the subject of this blog, the Lotus had a lot of light surface rust breaking through the steel frame and trailing arm. When I restored the car I wire brushed these areas and painted them with brushed on Rustoleum. I must say, all those places look great. The paint is strong and no signs of rust.

As for the starting thing, thr car started fine after sitting all week, and started right up after a stop at NAPA for some Castrol LMA brake fluid. Go figure.

No comments: