Sunday, February 15, 2009

Still more filler

Last week I thought I used a lot of Epoxy Filler, but today I set a new record. For starters I was moving a little slow, having partaken of a large amount of beer at Gordon Bierch the night before. The occasion was Valentine's Day. My wife and I like Gordon Bierch, but last night, even though the place was not packed, service was slow. Stranger still there was no parking. Even the valet parking was full. After a lot of wandering around we ended up across the street, where for a flat five bucks we had a covered stall in an almost empty lot. So all in all it was a good time, but it would have been much better without so many hassles.

The first thing to do was to grind down the high spots from last week's filler. One key area was along the top of the patch, where there is a height change in the panel, and where I was unable to weld due to the absence of sound metal underneath. After some initial work with the pneumatic grinder I switched to a long block sander and #80 paper. As the line came into focus I could see that I would need to raise the surface around the bottom and sides of the patch, because to get down to bare metal I had to grind my way through a thick layer of filler and primer.

BMW090215-01 BMW090215-02

The other thing I wanted to accomplish was to fill some small holes with fiberglass and POR-15. For that I used a rotary file in a die grinder to clean up the edges. The last step before getting messy was to sand the entire area with my pneumatic sander. After that it was time for rubber gloves and lots of sticky stuff.

BMW090215-03 BMW090215-04

BMW090215-05 BMW090215-06 BMW090215-07

BMW090215-08 BMW090215-09

BMW090215-10 BMW090215-11

Next week I plan on attacking the right tail light.

No comments: